Server Crash

Bob Lee bob at bobleeit.net
Wed Sep 28 11:22:34 PDT 2005

OK Cody,
Based upon the information you've given, specific advice is going to
be a guessing game. Here's how I'd approach the problem. First off I
wouldn't worry too much about restoring the 'system' files, OS,
etc..., but concentrate on getting a server back up and operational
and then move on to the data. My inital intro into the world of
disaster recovery was headed by someone who refused to call the
process 'backup' instead calling it 'restore'. You're now finding out
why. So, build a new server, install apps, restore data. If you need
or want to restore config files (/etc and others) you need to be
careful and probably get used to running diff on newly installed vs
archived files and updating files as necessary. If you feel you need
to truly perform a complete recovery, you may find yourself doing alot
of trial and error. Once you get over this setback spend some time and
think about how you want to deal with this type of problem in the
future. If you need bare metal drive recovery -- a quick search of the
'net should point you to sources of info on how to set up a system for
such a process.

Good luck.

Bob
Quoting Cody Holland <cholland at redmoonbroadband.com>:
> Ok, I'm having some problems....due to the fact that I'm pretty new and
> have no idea on how to do this.  We had a server crash, hardware
> related, and I want to take my dump backups and restore them on another
> system.  The dump files are located on a remote ftp server.  So
> basically what I'm trying to accomplish is installing FreeBSD on the new
> system, getting the dump files off of the backup server, and then
> restoring them on a live server.  Is this possible, or should I be
> trying to do this a different way.  I cannot restore everything exactly
> without some changes.  The new server is SCSI, and the old server was on
> an IDE hard drive and I had re-compiled the kernel with all SCSI devices
> disabled (I don't know if that even matters).  Anyway I'm kind of lost
> and am looking for some guidance.  I've done plenty of reading and have
> attempted the restoration on my own, but keep hosing the new system.
> Any help would greatly be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Cody

     ********* I prefer mail in plain text format **********