re vlc 0.8.2 compile errors on 5.4

Alan Gerber agerber at ncsu.edu
Wed Sep 28 11:14:07 PDT 2005

nbco wrote:

>Hi List,
>I am having problems compiling vlc 0.8.2 on 5.4.  I can add it as a
>package but when portupgrade or portmanager tries to update it.  I get
>the following compile error:

[Error text snipped]

I also am experiencing this problem, but I've developed a workaround, as
de/reinstalling doesn't seem to do anything, as well as making distclean.

The problem occurs within the smb access module of vlc.  Navigate to
/usr/ports/multimedia/vlc and do a "make config" to get to the options
menu, then uncheck the smb module.  Accept the changes and do a "make
install" and things will work for you.

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that removing the smb functionality in
this manner will prevent one from directly accessing smb shares via the
vlc interface.  If you fall into this situation, I'd suggest mounting
the share via mount_smbfs.

--
Alan Gerber