Mounting NetBSD disk under FreeBSD.

FC kei-29ij at myamail.com
Wed Sep 28 09:06:02 PDT 2005

On Sep 28, 2005, at 11:51 AM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> ***
> This message was sent to your KasMail disposable email address:
> FC kei-29ij at myamail.com
> ***
>
> FC <kei-29ij at myamail.com> writes:
>

>> fdisk show that disk containing a NetBSD partition and bsdlabel show
>> no slices. It's like if the disk was not labeled.
>>
>> I thing FreeBSD gets confused because NetBSD 2.x can have up to 16
>> slices and FreeBSD only 8
>>

> That would make sense.
> I think the size of the slice table is a compile constant;
> if you traced it down and changed it, you might well be able
> to import your filesystem.

In fact I have booted the machine with NetBSD mounted the FreeBSD
disk and transfered my datas on the FreeBSD disk. Then I have
recreated the file system on my second disk with FreeBSD.

I thinks it is a shame that all the BSD OS can get together and have
something consistent through all the platforms. ext2fs can be mounted
on all the Linux flavors.

-fred-