Problem with compiling sendmail+sasl

Greg Maruszeczka greg at grokking.org
Wed Sep 28 08:02:57 PDT 2005

Sasa Stupar wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am new to FreeBSD just migrated from linux. I have installed version 5.4 and ports collection via cvsup. Then I have used ports for cyrus22 to build Cyrus and also sasl2. Now I am trying to build sendmail 8.13.5 but it doesn't build with sasl support.
>
> In my make.conf I have added:
> ------------
> SENDMAIL_CFLAGS+= -I/usr/local/include -DSASL=2
> SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS+= -L/usr/local/lib
> SENDMAIL_LDADD+= -lsasl2
> ------------
>
> And then run make and make install under /usr/ports/mail/sendmail.
>
> But when I check with :
> ----------
> mig29# telnet localhost 25
> Trying ::1...
> telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.workgroup.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 xmail.homelinux.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.3/8.13.5; Wed, 28 Sep 2005 14:15:32 +0200 (CEST)
> ehlo localhost
> 250-xmail.homelinux.net Hello localhost.workgroup [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-SIZE 10480760
> 250-DSN
> 250-DELIVERBY
> 250 HELP
> ----------
> I don't have smtp auth.
>
> Moreover, I found out that it didn't built with SASL with:
> --------------
> mig29# sendmail -bt -d0.1
> Version 8.13.3
>  Compiled with: DNSMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7
>                 NAMED_BIND NETINET NETINET6 NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PIPELINING SCANF
>                 STARTTLS TCPWRAPPERS USERDB XDEBUG
> Warning: Option: AuthMechanisms requires SASL support (-DSASL)
> Warning: Option: AuthOptions requires SASL support (-DSASL)
>
> ============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============
>       (short domain name) $w = mig29
>   (canonical domain name) $j = xmail.homelinux.net
>          (subdomain name) $m = workgroup
>               (node name) $k = mig29.workgroup
>
> ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
> ------------------
>
> What am I doing wrong here?

I think you might be getting the BASE sendmail mixed up with the PORT
sendmail. For max flexibility, there are TWO separate versions of
sendmail available. Unless you know you need the version provided in the
ports you should stick with the one provided in the base.

Your sendmail-related make.conf syntax looks correct but what you need
to do is rebuild the BASE sendmail with sasl support under /usr/src NOT
/usr/ports. I suggest you remove/deinstall the sendmail version found
under /usr/ports and do a full `make world` as recommended in the
handbook. Others may be able to give you specific directions on
rebuilding ONLY the base sendmail if a full make world is undesirable.

cheers,