New user

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 05:39:20 PDT 2005

On Wed 28 Sep 05 03:54, Dmitry Mityugov <dmitry.mityugov at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On Tuesday 27 September 2005 14:29, Derrick Test wrote:
> > > thats a big question. the handbook off the website is a great
> > > resource.
> >
> > It can also be found on the disk
> > (at /usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html ) once
> > you have installed. Usefull for working out how to set up internet
> > ;-) Using it will also save FreeBSD site bandwidth :-)
>
> But I believe the handbook at www.freebsd.org is more accurate and
> up-to-date than the one on the CDs.

Yes, but if you update the doc tree locally and build from that, then
you have the most up-to-date copy right on your machine. You have to
install /usr/ports/textproc/docproj first, and there's more details
about that here:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2001/02/08/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

Hope I don't scare off the new user, but this does demonstrate the power
and simplicity of UNIX in general, and FreeBSD in particular.

Here's an example straight from my workstation (this can be used as a
way to update and serve docs for an entire organization, such as one
build machine being used for packages for the other machines in a
network, though presumably there would be NFS or a webserver involved
in such a case).

My /etc/make.conf includes this:

# doc proj make options
SUP=            /usr/local/bin/cvsup
SUPFLAGS=       -L 2 -1
DOC_LANG=       en_US.ISO8859-1
SUPHOST=        `/usr/local/bin/fastest_cvsup -q -c us`
DOCSUPFILE=     /home/krinklyfig/supfiles/doc-supfile
SUP_UPDATE=     yes

... and my supfile for docs:

% cat /home/krinklyfig/supfiles/doc-supfile
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
doc-all

And in my root crontab is:

# cvsup and build docs, 4am, every day
1	4	*	*	*
/bin/sh /home/krinklyfig/supfiles/sup-doc 2>&1

And the script referenced above:

# cat /home/krinklyfig/supfiles/sup-doc
#!/bin/sh

MAILTO=krinklyfig
MEHOME=/usr/home/krinklyfig

touch $MEHOME/log/sup-doc.log ;
touch $MEHOME/log/sup-make-doc.log ;

cd /usr/doc ;
make update >> $MEHOME/log/sup-doc.log 2>&1 &&
make install clean >> $MEHOME/log/sup-make-doc.log 2>&1

At 4am every day the above script is run: the changes to docs are
downloaded though cvsup, and the new docs are built. My local docs are
most likely just as up-to-date as the ones on the web (<1 day), and I
only have to download the updates from cvs to keep them current.

- jt