Tried everything to create a new slice...

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Tue Sep 27 15:14:11 PDT 2005

Paul Clark wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a 6gb slice on a 10gb drive.  I want to make use of the unused 4gb by
> creating a new
> slice in it and mounting /home on it.
>
> If I use sysinstall in multi or single user mode it says: "ERROR: Unable to
> write data to
> disk ad0!"
>
> I have tried using the live cd but the keyboard map is wrong (I have no way
> of inputting a /)
> which makes it impossible to load sysinstall.
>
> How can I create a new slice?
> Also, will setting the mount point as /home automatically cause it to appear
> in the place of
> the symlink to /usr/home that is currently there or will there be something
> more that I have
> to do?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Paul

I've used the regular install disk to do this before.  Just boot up on
it, but instead of selecting install select configure -> fdisk, make
your changes and press "w" (it not a visible option but it still works).
  Then configure -> label using the same hidden "w" option.  Or is this
what you tried already?

HTH,
Micah