tar -u adds all files regardless of mod date

Gareth Bailey gjbailey at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 07:42:25 PDT 2005

Just to add, I seem to be experiencing similar behaviour using the -P option:

# tar -P -cvf archive.tar /usr/archive/Pimani/
.. files get added
# tar -P -uvf archive.tar /usr/archive/Pimani/
a /usr/archive/Pimani/Pimani Presentation/multimedia/August
2005/LM_001_PRINT_050119/Thumbs.db
a /usr/archive/Pimani/Pimani Presentation/multimedia/August 2005/26
August/t-shirtlogomany.gif

Result: Directory structure was static but two files were added again.

The non-absolute path workaround worked fine:

# cd /
# tar -cvf archive.tar usr/archive/Pimani/
.. files added
# tar -uvf archive.tar usr/archive/Pimani/

Result: No files were added again (good).

Just to bring to your attention.

Gareth Bailey