mysql port install

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue Sep 27 04:23:24 PDT 2005

eoghan wrote:

> Hi Glenn
> Yes i have tried this and i get:
> This: not found
> I think there is something fundamentally wrong with my install? I
> started acting up when i tried to do a sysintall upgrade which didnt
> complete (perl and others wouldnt install for xorg i think). Ive
> learnt a lot in the past few weeks though. and thanks for your help. i
> really appreciate people helping out cos im really new at this. Dumped
> windows for os x and got free bsd on my old windows machine to play with.

You have somehow messed up one of the configuration files which is
loaded when you try to start mysqld.  Something is trying to load a
program called "This" which it clearly doesn't find.

Look in the following files for a line which starts "This":
    /etc/rc.conf
    /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh
    /etc/defaults/rc.conf
    /etc.rc.conf.local (this may not exist and that's OK)

You can then just comment out the line (put a # at the start of it).
However, if you can't figure out why the line got there, you might want
to post the contents of the file here (or at least the relevant portion)
for more help.  There may be other errors in the file since something
has clearly messed up.

If that does not help then try:

find /etc -type f -exec egrep -H This {} \; | less

and

find /etc/usr/local/etc -type f -exec egrep -H This {} \; | less

--Alex

PS You can also do the find like this:

find /etc -type f -print | xargs egrep This

which is  quicker on large filesystems, but less obvious.