How to get locales working?

Benjamin Braatz sean at inmymind.de
Mon Sep 26 15:36:55 PDT 2005

Hello!

I tried to set my FreeBSD box to using unicode by setting the
following locale:
sean at lois ~ 0 $ locale
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

This should exist according to "locale -a":
sean at lois ~ 0 $ locale -a | grep en_GB.UTF-8
en_GB.UTF-8
sean at lois ~ 0 $ ls /usr/share/locale/en_GB.UTF-8/
LC_COLLATE  LC_CTYPE    LC_MESSAGES LC_MONETARY LC_NUMERIC  LC_TIME

However Perl, rxvt-unicode and others complain, that it does not:
sean at lois ~ 0 $ perl -e 'print "Hello world!\n"'
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
         LC_ALL = (unset),
         LANG = "en_GB.UTF-8"
Hello world!
sean at lois ~ 0 $ urxvt -h
urxvt: default locale unavailable, check LC_* and LANG variables.
Continuing.
rxvt-unicode (urxvt) v5.7 - released: 2005-07-13

What's wrong here?

Thanks for any hints!

--
Benjamin Braatz