sendmail question on gateway install

steve lasiter slas7713 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 12:03:57 PDT 2005

This is a follow up to an issue I still have
concerning my FreeBSD 5.4 gateway. I've done a basic
install and have disabled inetd and sendmail. My mail
server is behind my gateway. I can send mail out but
the gateway is blocking incoming request on port 25. I
have the ipf rules and ipnat rules in place but the
gateway never allows it through. I can telnet to the
192.x.x.1 address behind the gateway fine so I know my
postfix is up and running. I can do a port scan via
the internet and see that 25 is opened but when I try
to telnet into the public ip on 25 I never get in and
get a connection refused. When I check with "tcpdump
-vnt port 25" and run the web port scan I see it
catching the packets. But when I run the tcpdump and
try to telnet in on 25 it never reaches it. There is
also output in my maillog even though sendmail is
disabled via rc.conf. Can anyone give me a heads up on
what configuration files need modifying to open this
up?

Thanks,

Steve L