5.4 + GVINUM + RAID5 = Good?

Gadi Golan ggolan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 10:57:42 PDT 2005

Greetings,
I was curious to see whether or not GVINUM was stable enough and full
featured enough to reliabily support a RAID5.  I installed a 5.4
system and was supprised to find that VINUM was no longer supported
and that GVINUM was missing some of the basic features I was used to
in VINUM.  Specifically I was used to being required to INIT a new
RAID5 system, but GVINUM doesnt seem to support INIT yet.  Is there
any workaround for this.  Does anyone know a consistent, reasonable,
and reliable way of using GVINUM to get a RAID5 system going on 5.4?

I fully understand the limitations and complications behind using
software to do a RAID5 but I promise that for my purposes I only need
to have something that works reliabily (I dont want to loose my data)
and I want it to be cheap.  VINUM was the perfect solution in the
past, it worked fine even if it was hard to use.  Can GVINUM fill the
gap in the post-VINUM world?

Thanks for your help and thoughts,

Gadi Golan