Compatibility with Dell PowerEdge 2600 Servers

Bob Middaugh bob.middaugh at comcast.net
Mon Sep 26 09:00:34 PDT 2005

Hi Jason,
I have a 2550 with Perc 3/DI card and I boot from CD, it freezes after
detecting 2nd RAID 5 container.  I know FreeBSD runs on Poweredge
servers, lots of people do.  If I remember correctly, one of the main
developers uses a 2650 or 2850 for dev work.  I'm going to try
changing the BIOS option for OS Install from off to on, and see if
that helps - even though it just limits the amt of available RAM in
the box to 256MB, afaik.  There's also a setting in the SCSI config
that relates to windows, I forget exactly off the top of my head.
Basically the gist of it is that you turn it off if you're planning to
run and OS other than windows.  I'm hoping to mess with this later
today.

Bob