Webcams and FreeBSD

John Oxley john at yoafrica.com
Mon Sep 26 04:40:54 PDT 2005

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 05:05:24AM -0500, Ned Harrison wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD 5.4 as a desktop operating system on my home
> computer.  I would like to set up a webcam for physical security/nature
> observation while I'm away from the residence.  Something simple, I just
> want to take periodic images and store them on an external hard drive.
>
> In the past couple of days researching this, I get the impression that
> it may be possible to do this but I have not found specific instructions
> on how to set it up.
>
> Even though I am a newbie, I have been able to get things working when I
> can find the right documentation. Does anybody know of an article which
> describes setting something like this up?

If you are not bound to FreeBSD, I recommend installing Linux.  USB
webcams work much better under Linux, and there is a package called
motion which only records if there is a certain amount of motion
detected which is a better setup for security anyway.

-John

--
John Oxley
Systems Administrator
E-Mail:  john at yoafrica.com
Tel:     +263 4 858404
echo '9k[l:l;s<s=0l>x]s"[1+l<dd*l=d*-l;+ds<rl=2**l:+ds=d*rd*+4<-d15>>] s>[q]s-[d77/3*2-s;47l"x-P1+d78>`]s`0[d23/.5-3*s:0l`xr10P1+d24>$]ds$x'|dc