user account changes lost on reboot

Jarrod Harch jarrod.harch at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 20:17:52 PDT 2005

Hi, I just setup a new 5.4 install, which went fairly well. I added some
accounts - I used
adduser to do one account, and logged on as the user OK. The other account
was
created when I installed gdm as the display manager.

On rebooting the root password is missing, the user account I created is
also gone (but
the home directory and files are still there). gdm won't start, complaining
that the gdm
user doesn't exist.

I recreated the user again but it vanished after the next boot.

Does anyone know what might cause these account changes to be lost? Sorry if
this has
been answered already, I couldn't find anything on Google or mailing lists.

Thanks
Jarrod