can not mount a large FAT32 filesystem

Mikhail Teterin mi at symbion.zaytman.com
Sun Sep 25 17:53:56 PDT 2005

Hello!

I have a 4Gb flash-card with FAT32 filesystem. Whenever I try to mount
it (on 5.x and 4.x) I get:

	msdos: /dev/da0s1: Invalid argument

and the kernel complains:

	da0: reading primary partition table: error reading fsbn 0
	mountmsdosfs(): bad FAT32 filesystem

The method works with smaller cards in the same card-reader. This card
works fine inside the camera, and I can get the pictures via. PTP
protocol using gphoto.

Fdisk da0 says:

	******* Working on device /dev/da0 *******
	parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
	cylinders=7936 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

	Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
	parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
	cylinders=7936 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

	Media sector size is 512
	Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
	Information from DOS bootblock is:
	The data for partition 1 is:
	sysid 12,(DOS or Windows 95 with 32 bit FAT, LBA)
	    start 63, size 7998417 (3905 Meg), flag 80 (active)
		beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
		end: cyl 766/ head 15/ sector 63
	The data for partition 2 is:
	<UNUSED>
	The data for partition 3 is:
	<UNUSED>
	The data for partition 4 is:
	<UNUSED>

Disklabel da0 says:

	# /dev/da0:
	type: SCSI
	disk: SanDisk
	label: ImageMate II
	flags:
	bytes/sector: 512
	sectors/track: 63
	tracks/cylinder: 16
	sectors/cylinder: 1008
	cylinders: 7936
	sectors/unit: 7999489
	rpm: 3600
	interleave: 1
	trackskew: 0
	cylinderskew: 0
	headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
	track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
	drivedata: 0

	8 partitions:
	#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
	  c:  7999489        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 7936*)

Looks like OpenBSD discussed something similar 5 years ago:

	http://monkey.org/openbsd/archive/tech/0002/msg00167.html

Any suggestions? I really hate using PTP via the camera to transfer
pictures from this device, and I'd like to be able to store other things
there in addition to pictures.

Thanks!

	-mi