2 questions partitions + dmesg

Eric Murphy eam404 at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 25 14:31:25 PDT 2005

Hey guys 2 questions here... the first one has to do with paritioning..

Im running an a8n SLI deluxe mother board useing the Nvidia RAID controller

In the BSD installer it shows up as ad4 ad6 and ar0 -- ar0 being the raid arrary..

Now I would like to dual boot windows and BSD, and this is where my problem lies..

When I install windows I create a few paritions, and by default windows creates
the primary C parition and then following that come logical paritions...

So by the time im done paritioning windows I have the following:

The raid arrary is a total of 150 gigs

C: -- 6.5 gigs - Windows-XP
D: -- 4 Gigs - Windows SWAP (Vitural memory)
E: -- 1gig - Logs or temp files.
F -- 15 gigs Programs
G: -- Games

So C is the parimary and D, E , F and G are logical.

When I boot up the BSD installer I am unable to create a slice on the unused space
becuase it lies on a logical pairiton, and BSD needs a primary.

I do not know how to create 2 pimary paritions one for BSD and one for windows,
and within the windows partition create my logical paritions...

I believe the fdisk programs will not allow me to do this?

Did I explain that decently?

Question 2:

I wanted to try out the AMD64 version of BSD, I currently run the i386 version

when i run dmesg in the i386 version it says my proc is an AMD 64 Processor 3200+
I686 CPU

When i run dmesg in the amd64 version it says its an AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200
K8-Class CPU

Why is there a differnce and what do i put in my kernel as a CPU type?