i386 on AMD64 architecture

Graham North northg at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 25 13:16:52 PDT 2005

It is my understanding that the AMD 64 family supports 32-bit i386 code
completely...can someone confirm this.

I would like to stay with 32 bit for the time being but run it on a new
MB using an AMD64 architecture.  Should I therefore be simply installing
an i386 iso as though it is on an Intel machine? Will the i386 iso then
have full support for AMD specific drivers such as the k8t800?  I
noticed from this link
http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html THAT the the
VIA K8T800 and K8T890 seem to be reasonably supported whereas not many
other current AMD Northbridges are (note however that  this support is
for AMD64 iso).

Any pearls of wisdom much appreciated. No I do not wish to install as 64
bit at this time...
Thanks, Graham/

--
Kindness can be infectious - try it.