portupgrade + make_ports.sh: Fixing everything in one go

Chris chris at childeric.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Sep 25 05:11:57 PDT 2005

Micah wrote:

> Fafa Hafiz Krantz wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I thought I'd ask you all if my make_ports.sh is as convenient as I think
>> it is, or if it's totally off track or what not:
>>
>> # cat make_ports.sh
>>
>> cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/cvsupfile
>> cd /usr/ports
>> make fetchindex
>> portupgrade -raP
>> portsdb -uU

Not the answer to your main question but you only need portsdb -u after
you use make fetchindex. -U rebuilds the index which takes a _long_ time
on a slow computer and is not necessary if you've just fetched it.

Also I'm not clear if one needs the ports tree and INDEX up to date to
upgrade using packages, but the portsdb command should be before the
portupgrade command (and after make fetchindex).

A good read of man pages and the handbook helped me.

>> pkgdb -F
>> portsclean -CDLP

> Which version of FreeBSD are you running?  Seems that pre-compiled
> packages are only available for the latest release (5.4 right now).

You can get packages which are about as current as the ports by setting
PACKAGESITE. Eg in csh

setenv PACKAGESITE
ftp://ftp.uk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/Latest/

then pkg_add -r whatever

works pretty well for me (it needs the trailing forward slash). I've
just discovered this so am pretty happy :)

Chris