Sharing /usr/ports

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sat Sep 24 16:03:11 PDT 2005

On Sep 24, 2005, at 9:36 AM, Gordon Ross wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
>> Gordon Ross <freebsd at gordonross.org.uk> writes:
>>

>>> I've got two FreeBSD 5.4 machines. One is a server, the other is a
>>> desktop.
>>>
>>> I've mounted on the desktop the /usr/ports directory from the
>>> server. My idea being that I could share the one /usr/ports
>>> directory
>>> amongst my machines and save disc space, and also save having to
>>> recompile everything whenever I install a port.
>>>
>>> My problem is that, if I do a "make" on one machine, I can't then
>>> do a
>>> "make install" on the other machine. (When I try, nothing happens)
>>>
>>> I haven't mounted any of the directories from under /var/db (e.g.
>>> pkg,
>>> ports)
>>>
>>> Is what I'm trying to do possible ?
>>> If so, what am I missing or doing wrong ?
>>>

>> It would probably be faster to build packages and let the client
>> install those, but I think what you're looking for is "make
>> reinstall".
>>

> Ah, that seems to be doing something..
>
> Thanks !
>
> GTG

     Or maybe make clean && make && make reinstall, depending on
whether or not your 2 machines archs and compile options are the same
or not. Be careful just blindly running make reinstall. Plus, I'm
pretty sure that you don't want the same exact options for each
machine, as one is an acting server and the other is a desktop.
     Also, I dunno how things function across NFS or using whatever
share technique you're using, but things got really weird under
Gentoo Linux with NFS sharing sometimes.
-Garrett