Help! Stupid Newbie Question

Joe Graham randalar at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 13:16:29 PDT 2005

Hello,
 I've been playing off and on with FreeBSD for a bit of time now, but I
would still consider myself a relative newbie. I've read enough and played
enough to know how to install applications from ports (e.g., I was able to
successfully install Moria just by reading the pages I could find). My
latest endeavor has been to attempt to install MySQL. I've recently
installed FreeBSD 5.9 on my system, and was attempting to use the ports
directory to install it. After going to /usr/ports/databases/mysql40-server
(mysql50-server failed, couldn't find the file anywhere to download
apparantly) and running make then make install, I've come across a hurdle.
The hurdle is rather embarrassing, but is sort of simple (and likely obvious
to te guys on this list). How do I get the server software to run? I know I
can't use mysql the client until the server software is running, but I dunno
the proper steps to take. I know, it's a fairly stupid question, but I seem
incompetent at finding the right instructions to get it going. If someone
could please point me in the right direction to look around so I know what
steps I need to do next, I would be greatly appreciative. I'm able to find
methods to perform certain operations, but naturally it needs to have the
server software actually running :D Many many thanks to anyone who can help
me out.
--Joe G.