Sharing /usr/ports

Gordon Ross freebsd at gordonross.org.uk
Sat Sep 24 09:06:54 PDT 2005

I've got two FreeBSD 5.4 machines. One is a server, the other is a
desktop.

I've mounted on the desktop the /usr/ports directory from the server. My
idea being that I could share the one /usr/ports directory amongst my
machines and save disc space, and also save having to recompile everything
whenever I install a port.

My problem is that, if I do a "make" on one machine, I can't then do a
"make install" on the other machine. (When I try, nothing happens)

I haven't mounted any of the directories from under /var/db (e.g. pkg,
ports)

Is what I'm trying to do possible ?
If so, what am I missing or doing wrong ?

Thanks,

GTG