problem with printed output from freebsd as a print server using cups, samba, hpijs

rance at frontiernet.net rance at frontiernet.net
Sat Sep 24 08:40:12 PDT 2005

I've been experimenting with freebsd for a couple of weeks now, Im very
familiar with linux, and I used gentoo (whose portage install setup is
modeled from freebsd ports)

I had a Gentoo server that did the following tasks...
cups print system, samba shared those printers to windows boxes

I have a hp laserjet 1100 printer so hpijs was installed.

this Gentoo box also was a internet gateway NAT router for my internal
network.

Ive not been able to have much luck getting these services enabled on my
freebsd box.

I have freebsd RELEASE 5.4 installed, with a mix of pkg_add -r installed
packages, and some updated ones from ports

I did this because some of the packages were rather large, and this
particular machine would take too long to compile then.

Now, on to the problem...

CUPS is intalled from ports, ive installed foomatic-db,
foomatic=db-engine, and foomatic-hpijs all from ports.

my laser printer works fine under freebsd.

for some reason I havent quite figured out yet, the foomatic database of
pritners DOES NOT show up the the cups web interface when you try to add
a printer, all you get are the CUPS drivers for HP.

This isnt really that important, but I would like to know how to get the
printers list properly installed for future reference.

samba is also installed from ports, and configured, and running.

from my windows boxes, I see the samba server and its shares, and its
printers.

I can from windows use the shares.

I can also print to the printer but not well.

when I print a test page from cups to the printer its fine, no problems.

whin I print a test page from windows to the printer its not fine.

some how the data from windows is being corrupted. (I think)

the stuff that comes off the printer is three or four pages of not much
at all.

I get the layers of the windows98 "window" to print on different pages,
and the text that lists the files used never prints.

This never happened on gentoo, and I cant find any reference to this
problem from my internet searches. (I may not be searching for the
right term, I grant you)

Id like to get printing fixed, so that I can start working on some of th
e other things, like the gateway and nat router an all of that.