Is this possible? DHCP / DNS related.

Hornet hornetmadness at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 07:12:49 PDT 2005

On 9/24/05, Ben Racine <wisher21 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have recently set up a web server on my college network.  It is
> behind  DNS and DHCP servers that are out of my control.  What I would
> like to do is be able to associate a name something like
> bsdserve.****.edu .  However, I'm fairly new at all this, but from
> what I've been able to gather, it seems as though the only way to do
> this would be to put a record in the campus DNS which isn't possible.
> Any insight?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Ben Racine

Being a former collage network admin, I can tell you that it will be
next to impossible to get a DNS entry put on the core domain
"collage.edu". Unless you have friends in the IT department there. I
would suggest NOT saying anything to the IT department about your
server, as this is probably a AUP violation, and puts you on the
radar.
  If you can get the DNS entry, I would suggest they delegate the
sub-domain to you. In bind, it would require two entries, a A record
and NS record.

bsdservr   IN  A   your.server.ip
freebsdserver  IN NS bsdserver.campus.edu.

Doing this would allow you to make sub-domains so you could have
host1.freebsdserver.campus.edu
host2.freebsd.campus.edu
etc..

You will need to run your own DNS server to handle the delegation and
resolution.

-Erik-