New user getting very discouraged with IPv6 problems, cannot get tunnel working completely :(

resonant evil air.lightz at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 03:23:53 PDT 2005

Hi all, I'm a brand new poster to the forums, and consider myself a novice
FreeBSD user..

I used to use an IPv6 tunnel broker that worked fine, and even had a great
program in C to do all the configuring of my tunnel automatically, but
sadly, they are sharing my /48 with like 4 other people making it impossible
to log into IRC servers. So somebody on #FreeBSD @
irc.freenode.net<http://irc.freenode.net>reccomended 2 OTHER brokers
for me, one was BTexaCT and another was
Hurricane Electric (www.tunnelbroker.net <http://www.tunnelbroker.net>,
which he advised me to use.) So I got my tunnel approved at both places, but
am seriously at a dead end here and it has become very discouraging, to the
point where I'm blaming myself because this should be so straight-forward :(

Here are the full tunnel details I was approved for
Server IPV4 Address: 64.71.128.83 <http://64.71.128.83>
Server IPV6 Address: 2001:470:1F01:FFFF::DD2/127
Client IPV4 Address: 70.28.MY.IP
Client IPV6 Address: 2001:470:1F01:FFFF::DD3/127

in my /etc/rc.conf, I have

ipv6_enable="YES"
ipv6_gateway_enable="YES"

The guide I was following was:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-ipv6.html

Okay, so, the steps I follow are..

ifconfig gif0 create
ifconfig gif0 tunnel 70.28.MY.IP 64.71.128.83 <http://64.71.128.83> (my ip
then their ipv4 ip)
ifconfig gif0 inet6 alias 2001:470:1F01:FFFF::DD3

That goes off without any errors or anything, and then that guide tells me
to 'ping6 ff02::1%gif0' and it works perfectly, and I get ping replies, so I
get REALLY excited. Then, the guide tells me to finish by

route add -inet6 default -interface gif0

Then, it should be ready according to the manual, but I can only resolve
IPV6 addresses, I can't actually communicate with any.

ping6 'ing ipv6 addresses resolves to the proper address, but no packets are
received
irc'ing an ipv6 server just resolves the IPV6 address but doesn't actually
get past the CONNECTING stage

As I said, I'm getting really discouraged and downright depressed, and I
don't know what further action to take to pursue this problem, so hopefully
people here can get me up and running.. This really shouldn't be a difficult
thing to do..

Also, as a side note, I also took the exact same steps with the OTHER broker
I was approved for (BTexaCT) but its the same thing, I can only resolve IPV6
IP's, not communicate with them

What should I do!! Thanks in advance, everyone :)

-Ryan, a new FBSD user :)