NEWBIE: how-to for feeding file to gnomealyzer.sh?

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Fri Sep 23 05:43:18 PDT 2005

Peter Clutton wrote:
> On 9/23/05, Gregory Nou <gregorynou at altern.org> wrote:
>
>>You should install port textproc/p5-XML-Parser, and if already
>>installed, verify that the link are well done in your /usr/local/bin (eg
>>: not something like using perl5.8 and having perl pointing on perl5.6.2)
>

>  Thanks for that. I usually check out the port it mentions in it's output,
> but the XML-parser thing threw me. Will have a look tonight and let you
> know.

In a couple of cases where I had issues like this with gnome
installation (and the XML-Parser thing sounds awfully familiar), I
think I found that it was most efficient to do something like:

portupgrade [args] perl
perl-after-upgrade
portupgrade <everything but gnome, esp. xorg stuff>

Then the gnome install would run just swell. This was several months
ago, so my memory could be a bit fuzzy on this.

I think the gnome FAQ indicates one should just "portupgrade -a"
first, but of course that doesn't always work out well since -a
includes gnome if already installed. Success with gnome very much
depends on other things being up to date though. Modify to suit your
port management habits.

Note that my recipe will have you using perl5.8 during the gnome
upgrade. The tip on using 5.6.2 instead might be another way around,
but I'm pretty sure the root of the problems I had were actually
with imake and maybe other X stuff not being in the state required,
even though the evident choke symptom is on a perl module.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348