Good Operating systems book?

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Thu Sep 22 22:28:10 PDT 2005

"Jorge Mario G. Mazo" <murcielako at yahoo.com> writes:

> I would like to hear what books are good for newbies like me!

Some good reading to get exposed to some history and culture as well
as some high-level discussion of programming is "The Art of UNIX
Programming" by Eric S.  Raymond 2004 Addison Wesley ISBN
0-13-142901-9; ESR tends to be a Linux guy but you wouldn't know it
from this book.  He includes a fair number of small-paragraph quotes
from some UNIX pioneers.  There's more "whys" in the book than "hows".
And cheap by today's standards at 40 USD.  525p.