5.4 installation trouble

James Heck jpheck at uncc.edu
Thu Sep 22 20:52:58 PDT 2005

I have a toshiba satelite a25 laptop running windows xp right now
pentium 3 with 512mb ram, with 40 gb unpartitioned space (35 or so has
been reserved for bsd). I made 3 .iso's from nero, taken from the files
on www.freebsd.org. None of them allow me to actually load into the
install portion of the process. 1 or 2 seconds after bsd tries to load,
and a bunch of text shows up, it comes to this: "ata0: channel #0 on
atapci0." When this comes up, the cd in the drive stops spinning and
nothing else happens- i am forced to reboot.

I have brief experiences with mandrake 10, but im mostly familiar with
windows. I cant wait to get into bsd so if you guys have any input on
this issue, please let me know. and thanks alot!

James