sharing desktop witn VNC

stan stanb at panix.com
Thu Sep 22 18:13:32 PDT 2005

I'm trying to use tighvnc to "share" a desktop with a friend,
for educational purposes.

I've been able to run vncserver on my local machine, and
connect to it with vncviewer. I've also been able to ssh to his
machine (with X forwarding turned on) and do the same thing, but
this is really slow.

In the case of his FreebSD machine I just got the simple session
that xstart produces.

How can I star vncserver on his FreebSD machine, such that I get
a full blown KDE desktop? This is BTW what he gets when he logs in
via kdm. Is there a way to share an already running
X session with vnc? Or do I have to start a new session using vncserver?

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong Terror
- New York Times 9/3/1967