higher resolution console screen?

bob self bobself at charter.net
Thu Sep 22 17:26:01 PDT 2005

Björn König wrote:

> bob self wrote:
>
>> I have done all 3 of these things and I do get 100x37, but I was able
>> to get 128x48 when I was trying FreeBSD 6.0 beta 4 by running
>> "vidcontrol MODE_280". Is there a way to accomplish this in 5.4?
>

> Only with a patch. Do it at your own risk:
>
> cd /usr/src
> fetch http://www.alpha-tierchen.de/dateien/etc/vesa.patch.bz2
> bzip2 -cd vesa.patch.bz2 | patch -p0
> cd usr.sbin/vidcontrol
> make && make install
> cp etc/rc.d/moused /etc/rc.d
>
> build your kernel with
>
>    options  SC_PIXEL_MODE
>    options  VESA
>
> and reboot.
>
>    vidcontrol -i mode
>
> will show all available modes. And so on. You know the rest.
>
> Björn

I installed the patch, rebooted etc. Now

vidcontrol MODE_280 says:
vidcontrol: activating raster display: Operation not supported by device

Also, 'vidcontrol -g 100x37 VESA_800x600' no longer works. I now get

vidcontrol: obtaining new video mode parameters: Operation not supported
by device

So, does any one know what's going on? How can I undo the patch if I
need to?

thanks,
Bob