Challenge: LTO2 autoloader with freebsd?!

Bob Lee bob at bobleeit.net
Thu Sep 22 16:50:02 PDT 2005

I am currently running a Dell LT02 8 tape autoloader with AMANDA under
Linux RedHat ES3. I've also run AMANDA under NetBSD with a single SCSI
tape drive. I think it will meet your needs. You will need to
integrate the MTX tools for automating the loader with AMANDA. There
are lots of docs around for AMANDA including an excellent chapter that
is reprinted from the Unix Backup book -- a search should find that
pretty easily -- I think Storage Mountain has a link to it on their
website. My advice -- READ EVERYTHING and get a feeling for how the
various config files interact. I've had great luck with AMANDA and
would recommend it -- and yes, I have restored files from the
backups.

Bob
Quoting mdff <nospam at mgedv.net>:

> we are planning for a central backup solution.
> this will be a hp proliant dl380 with a scsi-
> attached autoloader 1/8 from HP with an integrated
> LTO2 drive.
>
> is it possible to setup backup mechanisms, that
> load 1 tape per day into the drive and run the
> backup automatically?
>
> is there any software like veritas that could
> be used under freebsd (no graphics preferred)?
>
> br...
>
> ps: reply just 2 the list, i'm on it...

     ********* I prefer mail in plain text format **********
                PGP/GnuPG: D3EE2269 <pgp.mit.edu>