Good Operating systems book?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Sep 22 13:19:55 PDT 2005

On 2005-09-22 21:44, Bj?rn K?nig <bkoenig at cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Jorge Mario G. Mazo wrote:
>> I want to learn about operating system to later start contributing to
>> FreeBSD I would like to hear what books are good for newbies like me!
>> NOTE: my C skills are pretty decent
>>
>> At a local library thre is a copy of Modern Operating System by
>> Andrew tanebaum, but it`s the old edtion (from 1989 I think) so I'm
>> not sure if that would still be valid!!!

Tanenbaum's book is a great read.  Some of the stuff it contains is
useful even after years.  I also like the following book a lot:

    Abraham Silberschatz, Peter Baer Galvin, Greg Gagne
    "Operating Systems' Concepts"
    Sixth Edition
    Wiley Press
    ISBN: 0-471-41743-2

> This is a good book if you want to know more about the FreeBSD kernel:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201702452/

Seconded.  This is an amazing book and *is* kernel specific.  It may be
a bit difficult as an introductory text for userland work, but it's
definitely one of the most appreciated items of my book collection :)