higher resolution console screen?

bob self bobself at charter.net
Thu Sep 22 05:12:52 PDT 2005

Luke Dean wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, bob self wrote:
>
>> 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #0: Tue Sep 20 15:33:58 EDT 2005
>>

>> I have a 19" LCD monitor and usually run in console mode. My screen
>> resolution is 80x25,
>> but I'd like to get something like 120 x 60 if possible. I've played
>> with vidcontrol, but so far can't
>> get it to do anything useful. Also my console screen is now shifted
>> to the left one character, but when
>> I run startx my gui screen is shifted to the right about 1 character.
>>
>> My card is a nvidia card with 128 megs or ram and I have enabled vesa
>> in the kernel and have vesa_load="YES"
>> in /boot/loader.conf. However, I get this error in dmesg:
>>
>> module_register: module vesa already exists!
>> Module vesa failed to register: 17
>>
>> How can I fix these problems?
>

> About the left/right shifting..  I also have a 19" LCD monitor, Nvidia
> card (a GeForce FX 5500), vesa enabled in the kernel, and I used to
> get a shifting problem like you describe.
>
> I switched from Xorg's nv driver to Nvidia's linux driver
> (ports/x11/nvidia-driver) and the shifting problem went away.

I'm using a kvm switch to switch between winxp and 5.4. I changed "nv"
in /etc/X11 to "nvidia" (since kldstat showed that nvidia.ko was loaded)
and now
my gui screen looks pretty good so far.

I was able to use a monitor menu-item to 'resync' and got the console
screen left-right centered again in console mode.

> Before I switched, resyncing the monitor would correct the problem.
>
> Mine is a dual-boot machine that runs WinXP and FreeBSD 5.4, and since
> switching to Nvidia's driver made the problem go away, I reasoned that
> the nv driver and the Nvidia driver for Windows were confusing the
> monitor by using slightly different refresh rates for the same screen
> mode or something, and that's why I had to resync it every time I
> rebooted from one OS to the other.

thanks,
Bob