Login Password

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Thu Sep 22 04:52:16 PDT 2005

[redirected from freebsd-i386 to freebsd-questions]

Daniel Schleig <bobgb4 at gmail.com> writes:
> I just installed FreeBSD via ftp site and the installation was
> succesful.  Now, when I boot up the computer, the system prompts me
> for a login/password to 'myhome.westell.com.' I have a westell 327
> router that I use to connect to the internet for verizon. I set up a
> username and password previously for my modem but when I try to
> enter it on FreeBSD, it replys: "Login Incorect."  Is there a way I
> can change this or something I can do to set a login/password?

FreeBSD does not know anything about your router or the password you
chose there.  It just uses 'westell.com' as domain name because your
router's dhcp server told it to.  There is probably a configuration
option on your router that lets you specify a different domain name.

If you did not create a user during installation, simply log in as
root and create a user for yourself.  If you weren't asked for a root
password during installation, just press enter at the password prompt,
and immediately set a root password with 'passwd root'.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no