Diskless Boot Problem

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Thu Sep 22 03:01:44 PDT 2005

kevin stovall wrote:
> I am trying to set up diskless boot with FreeBSD 6.0 BETA2. I am using
> PXE which is successful and the diskless box finds the kernel fine, but
> it hangs right before it would normally give the login prompt. It
> displays the date and then hangs. I am unable to SSH in from other
> machine. It boots fine into single user mode. Has anyone experienced
> this or have any ideas?

I just followed my own guide (www.daemonsecurity.com/pxe) from the
beginning again and ended up with a login prompt and could login and get
a shell.

I have learned that dhclient should not be used, the interface is
correctly configured on boot and any further client specific
configuration can be passed by other means, I am considering LDAP or
some specially formatted config file.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org