Performance of mailserevr in FreeBSD 5.4

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 00:32:30 PDT 2005

On 9/20/05, Deepak Naidu <deepak_nai at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to know whether FreeBSD can make a perfect
> mailserver compared to mailservers on linux. I am in
> process of porting them, but needed some statistical
> info regarding its performance compared with other os.

How do you define perfect? Performance? Mail servers are there own animal,
performance doesn't apply in the same way it does with a web server for
instance. Honestly, you are asking the wrong questions. The issues you will
most likely face are tuning issues for large numbers of processes and files
on disk. The mail server software you use will have way more impact on your
performance and capacity then the OS will.

If you want more specific answers you need to be more specific in your
question. Give some details about what you need to do, what capacity you
need, and you will probably get some helpful answers. You just aren't giving
enough information to get anything useful in return other than 'ya freebsd
will work fine'.

Chris