higher resolution console screen?

Luke Dean LukeD at pobox.com
Wed Sep 21 23:40:22 PDT 2005

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, bob self wrote:

> 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #0: Tue Sep 20 15:33:58 EDT 2005
>

> I have a 19" LCD monitor and usually run in console mode. My screen
> resolution is 80x25,
> but I'd like to get something like 120 x 60 if possible. I've played with
> vidcontrol, but so far can't
> get it to do anything useful. Also my console screen is now shifted to the
> left one character, but when
> I run startx my gui screen is shifted to the right about 1 character.
>
> My card is a nvidia card with 128 megs or ram and I have enabled vesa in the
> kernel and have vesa_load="YES"
> in /boot/loader.conf. However, I get this error in dmesg:
>
> module_register: module vesa already exists!
> Module vesa failed to register: 17
>
> How can I fix these problems?

About the left/right shifting..  I also have a 19" LCD monitor, Nvidia
card (a GeForce FX 5500), vesa enabled in the kernel, and I used to get
a shifting problem like you describe.

I switched from Xorg's nv driver to Nvidia's linux driver
(ports/x11/nvidia-driver) and the shifting problem went away.

Before I switched, resyncing the monitor would correct the problem.

Mine is a dual-boot machine that runs WinXP and FreeBSD 5.4, and since
switching to Nvidia's driver made the problem go away, I reasoned that the
nv driver and the Nvidia driver for Windows were confusing the monitor by
using slightly different refresh rates for the same screen mode or
something, and that's why I had to resync it every time I rebooted from
one OS to the other.