Question about Bind

Ron Wilhoite ronw at bals.org
Wed Sep 21 20:07:06 PDT 2005

Lisa Casey wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I did not realise installing FreeBSD would automatically install Bind 9.3. I
> figured if I needed to run bind I'ld have to install it. I didn't want to
> make too many changes at once so I installed bind 8.4 from ports.
>
> Now I  seem to have both bind 8.4 and bind 9.3 installed. Probably not a
> good situation.

Base and port versions can be on the same box, but I suspect you need to
turn off the default chroot in rc.conf if you're going to run 8.4. Check
the named variables in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.

> What I suppose I ought to do is to uninstall the bind 8.4 and keep the bind
> 9.3. How do I do that? I have never worked with ports before (although I
> think I'll like it once I get used to it).

pkg_deinstall bind

> Also - and this is a biggie. named and   apache do not start on bootup and I
> NEED this to happen. I have asked for help on this on this list and on the
> bind usenet group and implemented the syggestions I got but if I reboot the
> box named and apache do not start. I have to start these manually.
>
> apache_enable="YES"

Try
apache2_enable="YES"

> named_enable="YES"
> named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"
> named_flags="-u bind -g bind -c /usr/local/etc/named.conf"

Again, grep /etc/defaults/rc.conf for the named items and adjust
according to the version you plan to run. The above would probably work
for 8.4 if you add:

named_chrootdir=""	#Chroot directory (or "" not to auto-chroot it)

The Handbook also has a new section on BIND 9 and 5.3.

Hope that helps.

Ron Wilhoite