higher resolution console screen?

Björn König bkoenig at cs.tu-berlin.de
Wed Sep 21 19:11:29 PDT 2005

bob self wrote:

> 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #0: Tue Sep 20 15:33:58 EDT 2005
>

> I have a 19" LCD monitor and usually run in console mode. My screen
> resolution is 80x25,
> but I'd like to get something like 120 x 60 if possible. I've played
> with vidcontrol, but so far can't
> get it to do anything useful. Also my console screen is now shifted to
> the left one character, but when
> I run startx my gui screen is shifted to the right about 1 character.
>
> My card is a nvidia card with 128 megs or ram and I have enabled vesa in
> the kernel and have vesa_load="YES"
> in /boot/loader.conf. However, I get this error in dmesg:
>
> module_register: module vesa already exists!
> Module vesa failed to register: 17

This message wants to tell you that if you already have VESA support in
your kernel then you don't need to load the kernel module.

Make sure that you also have "options SC_PIXEL_MODE" beside "options
VESA" in your kernel configuration file.

Change the console mode with

   vidcontrol -g 100x37 VESA_800x600

and add

   allscreens_flags="-g 100x37 VESA_800x600"

to rc.conf to let this setting be applied to all consoles after reboot.

Björn