higher resolution console screen?

bob self bobself at charter.net
Wed Sep 21 18:59:28 PDT 2005

5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #0: Tue Sep 20 15:33:58 EDT 2005

I have a 19" LCD monitor and usually run in console mode. My screen
resolution is 80x25,
but I'd like to get something like 120 x 60 if possible. I've played
with vidcontrol, but so far can't
get it to do anything useful. Also my console screen is now shifted to
the left one character, but when
I run startx my gui screen is shifted to the right about 1 character.

My card is a nvidia card with 128 megs or ram and I have enabled vesa in
the kernel and have vesa_load="YES"
in /boot/loader.conf. However, I get this error in dmesg:

module_register: module vesa already exists!
Module vesa failed to register: 17

How can I fix these problems?

thanks,
Bob