Restore System

Cody Holland cholland at redmoonbroadband.com
Wed Sep 21 13:48:13 PDT 2005

I'm pretty new to the BSD and NIX world, and have never had to perform a
system recovery or restore.

I did a full backup of a server with tar using the following command:
tar cpzf servername`date +%m%d%y`.tgz /

I'm trying to restore it on another server with the following command:
tar -xzpf /path to backup file

The problem I'm running into is that the original system is has an IDE
harddrive, and the new system is SCSI.  I'm getting the following
errors:
dev/ad0: Can't restore device node: No such file or directory
dev/ad0s1: Can't restore device node: No such file or directory
dev/ad0s1a: Can't restore device node: No such file or directory
dev/ad0s1b: Can't restore device node: No such file or directory
dev/ad0s1c: Can't restore device node: No such file or directory
dev/ad0s1d: Can't restore device node: No such file or directory
dev/ad0s1e: Can't restore device node: No such file or directory

Is there an easy way around this?  Any help would greatly be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Cody