Dual boot solution

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Wed Sep 21 10:21:10 PDT 2005

K Wieland <kwieland at wustl.edu> writes:

> If anyone could add to this I would be interested.

I suppose that you say

> Even if you choose not to alter the MBR.

because of the last install menu item below
    { { "BootMgr",	"Install the FreeBSD Boot Manager",
      { "Standard",	"Install a standard MBR (no boot manager)",
      { "None",		"Leave the Master Boot Record untouched",
(from src/release/sysinstall/menus.c)

That last one is clearly misleading, even if it is in the context of
picking a boot manager, because later "fdisk" operations are certainly
able to change the MBR's primary partition table, including the
"active" bits that gave you trouble.

I'll try to get the menu items changed to something like:
    { { "BootMgr",	"Install the FreeBSD interactive boot manager",
      { "Standard",	"Install the FreeBSD non-interactive boot manager",
      { "None",		"Don't Install any boot manager",

If you'd like, you could file a formal PR about this (and CC me,
please) and maybe someone will beat me to it.