Performance of mailserevr in FreeBSD 5.4

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 10:08:38 PDT 2005

On 9/20/05, Deepak Naidu <deepak_nai at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I wanted to know whether FreeBSD can make a perfect
> mailserver compared to mailservers on linux.  I am in
> process of porting them, but needed some statistical
> info regarding its performance compared with other os.
>
> It seems many webservers are run on FreeBSD, I know
> its stable, but any specific, like less IO process
> kernel, system tuning etc....

Well, rumor is that at one time FreeBSD+qmail was
yahoo's primary email solution, serving millions of
accounts. I'm pretty sure they've gone on to use
another solution since then, but unless your user
base will grow over a zillion any time soon,
FreeBSD is a very fine OS for it.

We are using CommuniGate on FreeBSD 5 at our
site (~5000 accounts). Our postmaster told me that
FreeBSD is the easiest OS to install CG on. To be
fair, we're moving to Solaris 10 now, but that's
because we've been donated a couple of sparc's
and want a hassle-free environment.