make buildworld fails on step 1.2 and questions

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Tue Sep 20 21:57:01 PDT 2005

On Sep 20, 2005, at 7:01 PM, Chris wrote:

> A few things - If you are using CURRENT (anything) you have posted to
> the wrong list - try FreeBSD-CURRENT.

     K.

> If your a newb (as you seem to be), you should be using either
> 5.4-RELEASE or 4.11-RELEASE

     Meh. I just want to get my hands dirty a bit and learn more
about FreeBSD to the point where I feel confident about the OS inside
out.

> If you want to use the patch branch of 5.4, your cvs tag will be:
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_4
>
> If you want the 4.11 patch branch:
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_11
>
> I have been using FreeBSD since 2.2.8 - and only recently have I felt
> comfy enough to use CURRENT.
>
> For you - admirable, yes - foolish, you betcha. Stick to something
> solid
> until you know what you're doing...

     Still, one must make mistakes in order to learn. Besides, my
important data is on a separate partition just in case anything goes
awry, and I do have a LiveCD on hand.

     Thank you though, I do appreciate it.