make buildworld fails on step 1.2 and questions

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Tue Sep 20 19:01:41 PDT 2005

Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Hello,
>     I'm building my OS from source from the first time, and I  realize
> that I must have missed a step in configuring it properly. I  just hate
> treading through a lot of documentation when there isn't a  really nice
> search feature involved, so if someone can give me the  steps they
> used-or even better-the section in a handbook or FAQ on  how to do the
> buildworld properly, I would appreciate it.
>     Also, I was wondering if there was any specific syntax I should  use
> for specifying the version of FreeBSD that I want to use, ie 6.0-
> CURRENT vs 7.0-CURRENT (because I think that 7.0 has just come out,  but
> I may be wrong because I haven't been keeping completely up to  date).
>     All that I have done so far is CVSUP'ed my files into /usr and
> that's about it. I am not sure where to go from here.
>     I greatly appreciate any and all help provided to me.
>     Thanks,
> -Garrett
>
>     Command I use for building the system:
>
>     root at sprsd# cd /usr/src/ && make update && make buildworld &&  make
> kernel
>
>     Here is the error that comes up:

... Snip

A few things - If you are using CURRENT (anything) you have posted to
the wrong list - try FreeBSD-CURRENT.

If your a newb (as you seem to be), you should be using either
5.4-RELEASE or 4.11-RELEASE

If you want to use the patch branch of 5.4, your cvs tag will be:
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_4

If you want the 4.11 patch branch:
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_11

I have been using FreeBSD since 2.2.8 - and only recently have I felt
comfy enough to use CURRENT.

For you - admirable, yes - foolish, you betcha. Stick to something solid
until you know what you're doing...

--
Best regards,
Chris