make buildworld fails on step 1.2 and questions

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Tue Sep 20 18:25:20 PDT 2005

Hello,
     I'm building my OS from source from the first time, and I
realize that I must have missed a step in configuring it properly. I
just hate treading through a lot of documentation when there isn't a
really nice search feature involved, so if someone can give me the
steps they used-or even better-the section in a handbook or FAQ on
how to do the buildworld properly, I would appreciate it.
     Also, I was wondering if there was any specific syntax I should
use for specifying the version of FreeBSD that I want to use, ie 6.0-
CURRENT vs 7.0-CURRENT (because I think that 7.0 has just come out,
but I may be wrong because I haven't been keeping completely up to
date).
     All that I have done so far is CVSUP'ed my files into /usr and
that's about it. I am not sure where to go from here.
     I greatly appreciate any and all help provided to me.
     Thanks,
-Garrett

     Command I use for building the system:

     root at sprsd# cd /usr/src/ && make update && make buildworld &&
make kernel

     Here is the error that comes up:

 >>> stage 1.2: bootstrap tools
cd /usr/src; MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386  INSTALL="sh /usr/
src/tools/install.sh"  PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/legacy/usr/sbin:/
usr/obj/usr/src/i386/legacy/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/legacy/usr/
games:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin  WORLDTMP=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386
MAKEFLAGS="-m /usr/src/tools/build/mk  -m /usr/src/share/mk" make -f
Makefile.inc1  DESTDIR=  BOOTSTRAPPING=504000  -DNOHTML -DNOINFO -
DNOLINT -DNOMAN -DNOPIC -DNOPROFILE  -DNOSHARED -DNO_CPU_CFLAGS -
DNO_WARNS bootstrap-tools
===> gnu/usr.bin/gperf
/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf created for /usr/src/
gnu/usr.bin/gperf
===> gnu/usr.bin/gperf/doc
/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/doc created for /usr/
src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/doc
make: don't know how to make bool-array.cc. Stop
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
root at sprsd#

     My CVSUP file, just for reference if I'm missing something:

*default host=cvsup7.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix

# If you seem to be limited by CPU rather than network or disk
bandwidth, try
# commenting out the following line.  (Normally, today's CPUs are
fast enough
# that you want to run compression.)
*default delete compress

## Main Source Tree.
#
# The easiest way to get the main source tree is to use the "src-all"
# mega-collection.  It includes all of the individual "src-*"
collections.
#src-all

# These are the individual collections that make up "src-all".  If you
# use these, be sure to comment out "src-all" above.
src-base
src-bin
src-contrib
src-etc