Starting kdm

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Tue Sep 20 15:44:31 PDT 2005

On 09/19/05 09:21 PM, Eric Schuele sat at the `puter and typed:
> stan wrote:
> > I'm trying to figure out the current way (on a 4.11 STABLE machine)
> > of having kdm startup on boot. Surpisingly neither the handbook,
> > nor a Google search really led me anywhere on this, and I don't
> > see a script for this in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
> >
> > Do I put it in /etc/tys? If so what's teh proper invocation?
> >

> Handbook reads (I assume it applies to 4.11 as well):
>
> 5.7.3.1 The KDE Display Manager
> <snip lots>
> Now, make sure kdm is listed in /etc/ttys to be started at the next
> bootup. To do this, simply follow the instructions from the previous
> section on XDM and replace references to the /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm program
> with /usr/local/bin/kdm.
>
> "Previous Section" reads:
> 5.6.2 Using XDM
>
> The XDM daemon program is located in /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm. This program
> can be run at any time as root and it will start managing the X display
> on the local machine. If XDM is to be run every time the machine boots
> up, a convenient way to do this is by adding an entry to /etc/ttys. For
> more information about the format and usage of this file, see Section
> 21.3.2.1. There is a line in the default /etc/ttys file for running the
> XDM daemon on a virtual terminal:
>
> ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
>
> By default this entry is disabled; in order to enable it change field 5
> from off to on and restart init(8) using the directions in Section
> 21.3.2.2. The first field, the name of the terminal this program will
> manage, is ttyv8. This means that XDM will start running on the 9th
> virtual terminal.

Does anyone know if adding
ttyv9   "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure

but leaving
ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
intact would cause any conflict?  This would be a lot for most
systems, I'm sure, and probably not realistic for a typical system,
but I'm curious whether the display managers would conflict.

TIA

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

Mitchell's Law of Committees:
  Any simple problem can be made insoluble if enough meetings are
  held to discuss it.