Can I Rebuild / and /usr Remotely? Ideas?

D. Goss lists at dylangoss.com
Tue Sep 20 15:17:20 PDT 2005

> Thanks.  Guess it'll just be easier to physically go to the
> console.  Not that big of a deal in this case but I wanted to try
> it remotely just for future reference.  That way if the need arose,
> I could be fairly confident I could do it remotely.

It is OS independent but one thing to think about is that many brand-
name servers have option cards (Comaq has it standard) that allow
remote login to an independent IP address through a seperate network
connection and they allow machine reboot, console viewing, etc.  The
one that I have for an IBM server allows remote disk image mounting
via a web based interface (via a java applet).  You can mount remote
floppies or CDs and then reboot with them as if they were local.  I
think most second generation remote cards from Dell, Compaq and IBM
have this sort of functionality.  Some are around $100 on eBay and
they occupy a single PCI slot.

Best,
d.