AMD Sempron CPUTYPE & Co.

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 13:21:58 PDT 2005

Hello!

So I have a Sempron 2500+ CPU, one that supports
SSE3. What should I place in my /etc/make.conf? I use
ssh with X11Forward very often, so OpenSSL should
be compiled to be as fast as it can be on this CPU.
Here's a part of dmesg:

CPU: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2500+
(1407.05-MHz 686-class CPU)
Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x20fc2  Stepping = 2

  Features=0x78bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,
PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,
PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2>
  Features2=0x1<SSE3>
  AMD Features=0xe2500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,
<b25>,LM,3DNow+,3DNow>

I want to use SSE3, but I don't want to set CPUTYPE
to nocona, cause that way compilers won't ever use
AMD features. Is there a way to tell compilers to use
every feature I've got?

Thanks very much,
Andrew P.