Performance of mailserevr in FreeBSD 5.4

Deepak Naidu deepak_nai at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 10:44:52 PDT 2005

Thanx Randy,

             It would be good, if I have some data of posted doc regarding this... or of
your own experience. Thanx for your advise ....

Cheers,
Deepak Naidu.

Randy Schultz <schultz at sgi.com> wrote:
On Tue, 19 Sep 2005, Chuck Swiger spaketh thusly:

-}Deepak Naidu wrote:
-}> I wanted to know whether FreeBSD can make a perfect
-}> mailserver compared to mailservers on linux. I am in
-}> process of porting them, but needed some statistical
-}> info regarding its performance compared with other os.
-}
-}FreeBSD makes a fine mailserver.

It certainly does.

A few months ago I did some testing and found that freebsd 5.4 with softupdates
enabled was able to process IIRC ~300% more email than fedora core 4. In fact
sendmail on fbsd 5.4 handled nearly as much email as postfix on fc4 while
postfix on fbsd 5.4 was smokin' the wire. I still have the hard data around
somewhere if you think it'll be useful to you.

--
Randy (schultz at sgi.com) 715-726-2832 email bodhisattva <*>

"There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred,
there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed."