Drives Dieing

Michael C. Shultz ringworm01 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 08:48:42 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 05:43, Matt Juszczak wrote:
> >> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
> >> WARNING: /tmp was not properly dismounted
> >> WARNING: /usr was not properly dismounted
> >> WARNING: /var was not properly dismounted
> >> WARNING: /hd2 was not properly dismounted
> >> ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
> >> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=2 29575903
> >> ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
> >> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=2 29575903
> >> ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
> >> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=2 29575903
> >> ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
> >> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=2 29575903
> >> ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
> >> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=2 29575903
> >
> > I had this problem too. (Look in the current archive, in september,
> > for a thread called "Problem with deleting files"
> > I was told to shutdown dma with atacontrol, and fsck -f
> > However, I had no chance to test it.
> > I just copied everything I needed, made a newfs, reinstalled the
> > system (that's fast as you have all your config files), and today,
> > it's working fine, again. (I previously tried to use the copy of the
> > /usr I had made, but I experienced lots of problem with X. However,
> > you may try to do it)
> > If you are able to backup, I think that it's a good solution.
>
> But smartctl (smart test) shows drive failure in the short test?  Isn't
> that internal to the drive?
>
> Also, if this is the case, could this just be bad luck of two drives in
> a row?  Or could something be wrong with my hardware causing these
> drives to die? (controller?)
>
> -Matt

Just out of curiosity would you mind printing the atapci line/lines from
dmesg. I get the same sort of problem from a brand new WD 120 gig
drive that works fine in another machine so I suspect it has something to do
with the controller chip.

Mine is:

atapci0: <SiI 3112 SATA150 controller>

and it is listed in man ata(4) as a supported controller.

-Mike